Monday, April 23, 2012

Straight talk...

MIA!  I know, I know...better late than never!

I've been asked several questions since posting images of my natural tresses straightened.  The most FAQ is what tools did you use to straighten? I blogged about my favorites and my not so favorites in this posts.

Luxor Pro Beauty Mat, Jilbere' Curling Iron, Hot & Silky Pressing Comb
Okay (top image)...in the past, I use to use two folded bath towels to place my hot irons on while I straightened my hair in order to protect my bathroom countertop.  This has proven in the past to be disastrous in that my towels over time would have burn marks from repeated use over time, which would turn into holes, then eventually into towels thrown into the trash.  My countertop would be protected, but my bath towels paid the price.  Didn't want to continue on in this way, but I didn't have another option until I ran across the Luxor Pro Beauty Mat Protective Ultra Heat Protective Surface.  I love it!  I have had and used this little jewel for over two years going strong!  Both my bath towels and my countertops are safe.


Temperature Control is Key
I only use tools that have temperature controls.  Also, I do not use a lot of heat when straightening my strands.  Both my Jilbere' Curling Iron (1 1/2") and my Hot & Silky pressing comb have temperature control settings.  From what I can see, the curling iron is currently on sale this week! Didn't see the Hot n Silky, so it looks like I need to find another one from somewhere quick.  My current hot comb is doing great, but I need to have another to take its place when and if it dies.

Before Jilbere and Hot & Silky, I used tools by Gold n Hot to press n curl my strands.  The curling iron was great, but did not have a temperature control.  The pressing comb had a temperature control, however, I had to purchase and use three straightening combs to complete the process of straightening my hair as the irons would get cool before I could finish straightening.  When one iron would cool down, I would move on to the next and so on.  I did this for quite some time until I had had enough and found my little jewel by Hot n Silky.  Now, I only use one pressing comb and it does the job that took THREE Gold n Hots to do!
Cortex Platinum Black Series, Jilbere Porcelain Series

Although I do straighten my hair with a pressing comb, I do flat iron my hair at times.  My favorite is my beloved Jilbere' Porcelain Series 1".  It's getting old and the felt is beginning to peel, but it is still usable.  While out shopping, I ran across the Cortex Platinum Series (Marshalls) and decided to give it a try.  I LOVED the color of this beauty, but didn't love how it didn't quite straighten my hair like my Jilbere.  I had to set the temperature control to a higher setting in order to straighten with the Cortex than with my Jilbere and I wasn't having any of that, so back to Marshalls it went.  No heat damage for this girl.

I know of  many naturals who are able to use high heat to straighten, but my hair CAN NOT take it.  If my strands feel too hot to the touch then it is TOO HOT for me!  I don't like the thought of cooking my strands and I hate the smell of burned hair even more.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Asha. How many times have you straightened since your BC and how long do you keep it straightened before washing? Have you had any s/o heat damage?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Margaret. I BC back in 96'. When my hair became long enough (for my taste) to straighten, it was all that I did to my natural tresses until I had had enough of trying to keep it straight in the southern heat/humidity.

    I can't really say how many times I've straightened since my BC as I don't really know, but what I can tell you is that I do a full on straight style 1 - 3 times a year and only during the cooler months.

    Heat damage...yes. See http://www.lovepeacehappytresses.com/2012/01/world-wide-webthank-you.html

    Didn't know it was heat damage until I decided to forgo on straightening my strands and begin twisting my hair.

    Since at the time I was straightening my natural tresses only, over time my ends became straight. Here's a quote found within the above post..." Unbeknownst to me at that time, pressing my hair over time was "breaking down the hair's hydrogen bonds found in the hair's cortex, which cause hair to bend and become curly. Once the bonds are broken, hair is prevented from holding its original, natural form, though the hydrogen bonds can re-form if exposed to moisture." However, my "hydrogen bonds" did not reform for my ends. So, whenever I would set my hair in wet two-strand twists I would have to use perm rods on my ends in order to "curl" them."

    When you know better, you do better. It's all good now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awarding your blog the "One Lovely Blog" award :)

    http://www.justgrowalready.com/2012/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to check out that pressing comb...one day. Right now, my patience and skill are shot with straightening my hair now.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate all comments & questions.

Blogging tips