Friday, October 19, 2012

Southern living...

Corn and Crab (shrimp) Soup
I grew up in the south  and I love to cook southern dishes.  I have several Southern Living cookbooks that I absolutely cherish and on cold nights this soup is a family favorite that takes only minutes to prepare!

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half
1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained ( I use shrimp, but you can also use crawfish tails as well )
1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained ( I use frozen corn )
1/2 teaspoon salt (season to taste)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ( I use minced garlic seasoned to taste )
1/4 teaspoon pepper ( season to taste )

1) Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until mixture is smooth  Cook 1 minute,
stirring constantly.  Gradually add broth, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Stir in half-and-half and remaining ingredients (make sure seafood is cooked thoroughly before adding); cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.

Makes 4 to 6 servings
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 21 minutes

Enjoy!

*Note*

I always double up on this recipe as it is a family favorite and tastes even better the next day!


2 comments:

I read and appreciate all comments & questions.

Blogging tips